Fall 2021 Family Letter
- Upcoming Important Dates
- Health and Safety Information
- 9th Grade Orientation on Tuesday, August 31, 2021 – MANDATORY
- 10th Grade School Tours on Tuesday, August 31, 2021 – Optional
- Required School Forms
- 2021/2022 School Lunch
- Franklin Family BBQ
- Student Schedules and Course Change Requests
- Franklin High School App – Download Today
- New to Franklin Family VIRTUAL Coffee Hour
- First Week Schedule
- School Photos
- ORCA Cards
Fall 2021 Franklin Family Letter
- Fall Letter – Amharic
- Fall Letter – Chinese
- Fall Letter – Somali
- Fall Letter – Spanish
- Fall Letter – Tagalog
- Fall Letter – Vietnamese
Welcome to the 2021/2022 school year! We hope that you have found time to enjoy family and friends and as many of the things that bring you joy as possible during what has been a very challenging year and a half. We are so excited to welcome our students, families and staff back to our beautiful building. You and your scholar(s) bring the joy to our work as educators and we thank you for that. We continue to be excited to work in partnership with you to support the educational growth of your scholar.
Enclosed in this packet you will find several pieces of information that will assist you in getting ready for a positive and productive 2021/2022 school year. We also use our website, school app and email regularly to communicate with you so please stay connected and reach out for any reason. This letter is also being posted to our website and school app where translated versions are available.
Franklin families, we are here to serve you and your scholar, and we are excited to do so. We know there are varying degrees of anxiety and fear around the return to school while we’re still in the pandemic and with the threat of the COVID – Delta variant. We want you to know we are here to support you. Please reach out via the main office (206.252.6150) and we’ll connect you and support you however we can. That’s part of being in the Franklin family.
With that, welcome to the 2021/2022 school year at Franklin High School. Home of the Quakers!
Upcoming Important Dates
- Tuesday, August 31, 2021 – Mandatory 9th Grade Orientation (see below)
- Tuesday, August 31, 2021; 2:00 PM – Optional building tours for 10th graders (see below)
- Tuesday, August 31, 2021; 11 AM & 6 PM– New Franklin Family VIRTUAL Coffee Hour (see below)
- Wednesday, September 1, 2021; 8:45 AM – First day of school
- Friday, September 3, 2021; 4:00 to 6:00 PM – Franklin Family BBQ (see below)
- Monday, September 6, 2021 – Labor Day, No School
- Wednesday, September 15, 2021 – School Pictures (see below)
Health and Safety Information
Seattle Public Schools is planning for five full days of in-person instruction at all 104 schools beginning on September 1, 2021. We are committed to working with our families, students, and staff to open schools and welcome back all students while continuing to prioritize the health and safety of our school communities. The district is currently working with labor partners to ensure a smooth start to school and may adjust safety protocols based on changes in public health guidance.
- Masks: Cloth face coverings or masks will be required for all school personnel, PreK-12 students, and visitors for the 2021-22 school year. There will be specific exceptions based on age, development, or disability. Students, staff, and visitors may remove their masks for eating and drinking.
- Physical Distancing: To the extent possible, students and staff should practice physical distancing of 3 feet while in classrooms. To the extent possible, students and staff should practice physical distancing of 6 feet while in common spaces.
- Daily Health Screenings: Daily health screenings are no longer required by DOH and will not be used in the coming school year.
- Vaccinations: SPS will not require COVID-19 vaccinations of students or staff at this time.
- COVID-19 Testing: SPS will partner with Health Commons Project to provide free, in-school COVID-19 testing for students and staff who have been exposed to COVID or have COVID-like symptoms.
- Athletics: Students in high school and middle school will be able to participate in athletics.
- Protected Health Care Room: Franklin will continue to designate a space as our Protected Health Care Room. This space is used if/when and individual displays symptoms of COVID.
- Health and Safety Staff: SPS is funding a part time staff person at every school to assist with coverage in the Protected Health Care room and other duties as assigned.
9th Grade Orientation on Tuesday, August 31, 2021 – MANDATORY
- 9 – 10:30 a.m. – 9th Grade Orientation A (Students with Last Names A-L)
- 10:30-11 a.m. – Re-set for Orientation B, Snack for 9th Graders, Answering Questions
- 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. – 9th Grade Orientation B (Students with Last Names M-Z)
Scholars meet outside the gym
9th grade is a pivotal year to establish relationships and habits that will lead to high-school success and graduation. A smooth transition to high school is very important and so at Franklin, we start with 9th grade before the school year begins. Scholars will:
- Meet their 9th grade peers
- Work with the 11th/12th grade Link Crew leaders
- Participate in activities
- Take a tour of the school
- Meet ninth grade teachers
- Meet the counseling and administrative teams.
- Learn strategies for being successful in 9th grade at FHS
10th Grade School Tours on Tuesday, August 31, 2021 – Optional
We know that many of our 10th grade students have also not yet been in the Franklin building. If your 10th grade scholar would like to tour the school before the first day of school, we are hosting optional tours per the schedule below:
Meet on the north side of the main building by the Keys.
Required School Forms
All required school forms will be posted to our website and sent out via our school app. We will also be providing paper copies of these forms to students during advisory the first week of school. Please make sure to return the following forms as quickly as possible:
- Free Reduced Lunch Form
- Emergency Contact Information
- FERPA form
- 504-2 form (to identify differently abled students)
- Title VII Indian Education form (for new students only)
- Housing Questionnaire (return only if applicable)
We will also post forms on our app and website that are required to be provided to you, but not required to be returned.
2021/2022 School Lunch
For the 2021/2022 school year, school lunch will be available for every student at no cost. In addition, Franklin is an open campus school and students are permitted to leave campus for lunch provided they return on time for class. Completing the FRL form is still necessary to receive other benefits such as reduced/waived fees and other financial assistance.
Franklin Family BBQ
We want to start the year off right with strong Quaker Spirit and connection! Bring chairs, blankets, sit on the boulevard, mingle with other Quakers and get to know one another. We will also have a DJ and student clubs, community partners, our amazing PTSA and Alumni Association will be encouraged to set up tables for info/recruiting. Distancing and masking is required.
- What: Franklin Family BBQ (meat and non-meat options available)
- When: Friday, September 3, 2021 from 4 to 6 p.m.
- Where: Outside Franklin
- Who: All Franklin students, families and staff are invited
- Why: This is one of the ways we show our Franklin LQVE, demonstrate our care for the Franklin community and fan the flames of the Quaker spirit.
Student Schedules and Course Change Requests
All student schedules will be available on The Source beginning August 27, 2021 at 5 p.m. We will not be providing paper schedules.
If your scholar is missing a class or has been placed in an incorrect class, our counselors will work with you to make necessary changes. Scholars seeking a schedule change need to email their counselor and they will work to accommodate those requests during the first week of school. We may be able to accommodate requests to change elective courses on a space availability basis. THERE WILL BE NO FURTHER SCHEDULE ADJUSTMENT REQUESTS HONORED AFTER THE FIRST FULL WEEK OF SCHOOL. We thank you in advance for your patience and cooperation. A building schedule for a school our size can be very difficult to manage and everyone will not be able to get all of their first choices.
Last Names A – G
Last Names H – O
Last Names P – Z
All students in our ELL program
Franklin High School App – Download Today
We use our school app extensively to send information and notifications to our school community. Our app also serves as a central location for contact information, various forms, links to our PTSA and Alumni and to buy Quaker swag. Download on any smart phone or device today.
New to Franklin Family VIRTUAL Coffee Hour
- Tuesday, August 31, 2021 – 11-12 a.m.
- Tuesday, August 31, 2021 – 6-7 p.m.
All new to Franklin parents, guardians, families are welcome to join us for a VIRTUAL coffee hour on Tuesday, August 31 at 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. We are hosting two sessions with the hope that one of these times works for your family. You will have chance to:
- Share ideas
- Ask questions
- Meet the administrative team
- Meet the counseling team
- Establish partnerships to support your scholars’ success
- Learn about volunteer opportunities
First Week Schedule
Wednesday, September 1, 2021
Thursday, September 2, 2021
Friday, September 3, 2021
As we begin a new year together, building relationships with your advisory teacher is especially important. All Franklin High School scholars will meet in Advisory (indicated as Mentorship on student schedules) at 8:45 AM each day. Starting Tuesday, September 7, 2021, we will follow the daily block schedule.
School photos will be taken during the school day on Wednesday, September 15, 2021. For students who miss the 9/15/21 photo opportunity, we will also host retakes on Wednesday, October 20, 2021. Order a picture package ahead of time and enter the Picture Day ID: EVTN9J27C.
All SPS students are eligible to receive an ORCA card. SPS is sending out an ORCA request form to every student. You must complete the form and return to school to receive your card. If the card is lost, it will be deactivated and a fee will be charged for a replacement. Replacement cards take time to reproduce. You will be responsible for transportation to and from school until the new card arrives. Take every precaution to ensure that you do not lose these cards! If you have questions regarding transportation, please contact Ms. JJ Wilkerson by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 206 252-6150.
We are so excited to be starting the year in person and to be partnering with you in support of your scholar’s educational journey. We are committed to honoring Franklin’s 109-year proud tradition as an anchor in our community and continuing to graduate citizens prepared to improve our world. As always, please continue to share your ideas, questions and feedback as we strive to model learning and growth.
Enjoy the remaining days of summer!
Franklin Admin Team
Proud Assistant Principal
Proud Assistant Principal
Proud Administrative Intern